Corporate Resposnibility & Accountabillity for Risk Management & Work Health & Safety
This needs to be presented relevant for Australia
I have attached my Job Description & my organisations WHS documents to use, can you also add a few additional sources that you feel are relevant.
Manage the Work Health & Safety issues and procedures relevant to your role.
• Compliance with legislative responsibilities and organisational policies and procedures
• Risk assessment procedures are appropriately documented
• Staff training requirements are identified and planned/implemented
Provide a case study of a Work Health & Safety issue you have responded to. Include in your case study:
• A report of the issue and how you became aware of the issue
• An outline of your role and responsibilities
• A risk assessment report
• An outline of your response and adjustments to the work place or work procedures
• Staff training strategies that you have or you plan to implement
Examples of WHS issues you may focus on include:
• Serious matters
• Cultural safety
• Annual WHS site audits or workplace drills
1. WORK HEALTH AND SAFETY – MAIN DUTIES 1
1.1 POLICY 1
1.2 PROCEDURES 2
1.2.1 RESPONSIBILITIES 2
1.3 RELATED DOCUMENTATION 4
1.3.1 REFERENCES 4
1. WORK HEALTH AND SAFETY – MAIN DUTIES
As part of our commitment to our core values, it is the policy of Barkuma Inc. to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that all workers are safe from injury and risks to health while at work.
To ensure we meet this requirement, Barkuma Inc. is committed to compliance with the Act, Regulations and the codes of practice designed to assist us to meet our Work Health and Safety, and Injury Management obligations.
In doing so, this policy communicates our commitment to work health and safety and the continuous improvement of our processes. It also promotes understanding of the obligations, rights and responsibilities of Barkuma, our managers and our workers.
As part of this commitment, this policy is endorsed by the Board of Barkuma Inc. and access to the policy shall be provided to all workers upon commencement with Barkuma.
1.2.1 DEFINITIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
A document called ‘Barkuma WHS Corporate Structure’ defines the individuals that undertake these duties.
126.96.36.199 PCBU (PERSON CONDUCTING A BUSINESS OR UNDERTAKING) – SECTION 19
Barkuma Incorporated shall be known, as the PCBU under the WHS act. The PCBU has the overall primary duty to provide a healthy and safe workplace for workers and to ensure that, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of other persons is not put at risk from work carried out by Barkuma. To do this the PCBU will ensure adequate resources are provided to meet health and safety objectives and implement strategies. Specifically, the PCBU has a primary duty in relation to:-
• The provision and maintenance of a work environment without risks to health and safety; and
• The provision and maintenance of safe plant and structures; and
• The provision and maintenance of safe systems of work; and
• The safe use, handling and storage of plant, structures and substances; and
• The provision of adequate facilities for the welfare at work of workers in carrying out work for Barkuma, including ensuring access to those facilities; and
• The provision of any information, training, instruction or supervision that is necessary to protect all persons from risks to their health and safety arising from work carried out by Barkuma; and
• That the health of workers and the conditions of the workplace are monitored for the purpose of preventing illness of workers.
188.8.131.52 OFFICERS – SECTION 27
An Officer is a person who makes decisions, or participates in making decisions that affect the whole or a substantial part of Barkuma and has the capacity to significantly affect the financial standing of Barkuma. If a manager or staff member is only responsible for implementing decisions they are not an officer.
An officer must exercise due diligence to ensure that Barkuma complies with it’s primary duties. Due diligence means that Officers will need to have taken reasonable steps to:
• acquire and update their knowledge of work health and safety measures.
• understand the operations being carried out by Barkuma, and the hazards and risks associated with the operations
• ensure that Barkuma has, and uses, appropriate resources and processes to eliminate or minimize health and safety risks arising from work being done.
• ensure that Barkuma has appropriate processes in place to receive and respond promptly to information regarding incidents, hazards and risks
• ensure that Barkuma has, and uses, processes for complying with duties or obligations under the Act (e.g. reporting, consultation, training)
184.108.40.206 WORKERS – SECTION 28
For the purposes of the Act a worker is someone who carriers out work for Barkuma and includes workers, contractors, sub-contractors (and their workers), an employee from a labour hire company, an apprentice/trainee, a student gaining work experience, an outworker or a volunteer.
It is in the interests of Workers, as well as a legal obligation to ensure that nothing is done through an act or omission to make health and safety provisions less effective.
In particular a worker must:
• take reasonable care for his or her own health and safety; and
• take reasonable care that his or her acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health or safety of other persons; and
• comply, so far as the worker is reasonably able, with any reasonable instruction that is given by Barkuma to comply with this Act; and
• co-operate with any reasonable policy or procedure of Barkuma relating to health and safety at the workplace that has been notified to workers
220.127.116.11 ANY OTHER PERSON – SECTION 29
A person at a worksite must;
• Take reasonable care for his or her own health and safety; and
• Take reasonable care that his or her acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of other persons; and
• Comply, so far as the person is reasonably able, with any reasonable instruction that is given by Barkuma to allow Barkuma to comply with this Act.
18.104.22.168 WORK HEALTH & SAFETY REPRESENTATIVE
• The elected WHS Representative plays a pivotal role to provide support, & influence positively, the safe work practices within their elected Work Group.
• Please refer to the WHS Representative Role Description for further description of this role.
22.214.171.124 EMERGENCY EVACUATION COORDINATOR
• The Emergency Evacuation Coordinator plays a pivotal role to provide support, & influence positively, the safe work practices within their Work Group.
• Please refer to the Emergency Evacuation Coordinator Role Description for further description of this role.
126.96.36.199 SENIOR DESIGNATED FIRST AIDER
• The Senior Designated First Aider plays a pivotal role to provide support, & influence positively, the safe work practices within their Work Group.
• Please refer to the Senior Designated First Aider Role Description for further description of this role.
1.3 RELATED DOCUMENTATION
188.8.131.52 South Australia Work Health and Safety Act 2012
184.108.40.206 South Australia Work Health and Safety Regulations 2012
220.127.116.11 Any other relevant Commonwealth & State legislation
18.104.22.168 Any other relevant Codes and Practices
1.3.2 SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
22.214.171.124 Barkuma WHS Corporate Structure
126.96.36.199 Emergency Evacuation Coordinator Role Description
188.8.131.52 Senior Designated First Aider Role Description
184.108.40.206 WHS Representative Role Description