NOVA: Inside the Megastorm
Watch the video, NOVA: Inside the Megastorm.
This video is about hurricane Sandy, the devastating storm that hit the East Coast in October of 2012. Pay careful attention to why this storm ended up being so large, and destructive. Also make sure you understand the affect climate change has on events like this one.
After you watch the video, please discuss the following questions in the forum below.
– What role do you think the US government (or any national government) should have in natural disasters like this? What role should they have before a natural disaster, during, and after? Please use evidence and examples to back up your opinion.
– Compare and contrast Hurricane Sandy and its effects to Hurricane Katrina. In what ways were they similar? In what ways were they different? What do you think about these differences and similarities?
– Global climate change likely played a role in making Sandy so strong. What do you think us as a country, and the world should be doing about global climate change? Please be specific, and provide detailed examples and evidence to back up your opinions.
To Get Full Points:
– Make one post discussing any or all of the issues stated above. This post should be a minimum of two full paragraphs (a sentence or two is not a paragraph). They should also contain specific evidence and examples to back up what you said.
– Reply once to a classmate’s post. This also must be 1-2 full paragraphs, and use evidence to back up your opinions
– Cite any outside sources you use