‘The Significant Tragedy of Hurricane Katrina’
Select a significant tragic event (either domestic or global) that has occurred over the last 50
years. The interactive presentation in this unit provides some ideas of historical tragic events, but understand that these are just ideas.
After describing the event and the post-tragedy events, discuss the ethical aspects
revolving around this incident. This discussion may require some additional research to understand the ethical situations and the impact the event(s) had on affected people and their ability to move on with their lives.
1. Describe the actions of people and organizational leaders directly and indirectly involved with the tragedy. Specifically, address the ethical issues they faced.
2. What were some of the actions of local, state, and federal personnel with respect to dealing with this tragedy?
3. Explain the strategies of organizations that attempted to assist with the clean-up after the tragic event. Describe several of the pressures that influenced their strategies. Distinguish between social responsibility, integrity, and simple business ethics.
4. How has this event affected the ethical culture here in the United States? What other effect has it had on society as a whole?
5. What other lessons might we learn from this event in the future?
Your response must be a minimum of two double-spaced pages. References should include
at least one additional credible reference beyond the textbook. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations, and be
cited per APA guidelines.