The student will read the business novel, The Goal.Goldratt, E. M. & Cox, J. (2012). The goal: A process of ongoing improvement. (3rd ed.). Great Barrington, MA: North River Press.
• The student will review the following papers: Perez, J. L. (1997). TOC for world class global supply chain management. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 33(1-2), 289-293.
Rahman, S.-u. (1998). Theory of constraints: A review of the philosophy and its applications. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 18(4), 336-355.
• The student will submit a report and will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
• Provide an adequate summary of the novel, The Goal, specifically addressing the following:
a) In the novel, The Goal, Jonah gave the definitions of the following measurements to Alex. – Operational expense, Throughput and Inventory.
What is your understanding of the above three measurements.
How did Jonah describe ‘Goal’ relating the above three measurements?
b) What is your understanding of DBR?
c) How did the team identify the bottlenecks in their facility?
d) How did the team define the process of on-going improvement?
Explain your understanding of the steps in the process of on-going improvement.
e) TOC focuses on entire system management instead of subsystems isolation. Explain?
How does it apply to supply chain management?
• The student will submit a 4 – 6 page paper which will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
• Summary of the novel specifically addressing the first 6 bullets as listed above
• Explain how TOC can be used for Supply Chain Management (1-2 pages)
• Identify and describe a project in your current or past organization where TOC principles can be applied (1-2 pages)
• Use correct grammar and evidence of proof-reading (i.e., absence of spelling errors); overall formatting (i.e., Times New Roman font, 12-pt, double-spaced); and meeting total page requirements.